Hebron Christian Reformed Church - Marriage Policy Guidelines
We believe the Bible teaches:
• marriage is a covenant union of a man (male) and a woman (female) into a “oneness” which no other human relationship can provide. God’s desire is to bless husband and wife in being “one flesh”. (Genesis 2:24)
• marriage involves husband and wife growing together. The becoming “one flesh” expresses itself in love for each other, in mutual hopes and dreams for the future, in sexual union, and in spiritual growth. As such, it is a lifelong commitment and should be entered into only after much forethought, planning and prayer. Our goal is to build strong marriages and families.
• that all relationships be holy and pure. (1 Corinthians 6:12-19)
• that couples have a personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. (John 3:16, Romans 10:9, II Corinthians 6:14)
• that couples be a member of a Christian church and regularly attend worship services. (Hebrews 10:24-25) Furthermore couples wanting to be married in Hebron Christian Reformed Church facility •
require the approval of the pastoral elders
• have “Pre-marriage Counseling” for example a Prepare/Enrich course or an equivalent. (Proverbs 15:22)
• if either party is divorced, completion of a Divorce Recovery Program or similar is strongly encouraged.
Marriage ceremonies may be solemnized either in a worship service or in a private gathering of relative and friends. Ministers shall not solemnize marriages which would be in conflict with the Word of God . . . Church Order, Art. 69.
If you wish to be married in the church please contact one of the Pastors for more information.
revised by pastoral elder January 21, 2010
Please contact the pastor to make specific arrangements.